Evening Standard
·18 mai 2026
Manchester United injury update: Benjamin Sesko and Matthijs de Ligt latest news and return dates

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsEvening Standard
·18 mai 2026

Two big updates on key men ahead of final game of the season
Manchester United are gearing up for their final game of the season still missing two key stars.
Matthijs de Ligt has been sidelined since November last year, but last week finally underwent surgery to fix his troublesome back injury, which will sidelined him for months.
There remains uncertainty over Benjamin Sesko’s availability for Sunday’s trip to Brighton, having missed the visit of Nottingham Forest.
With that in mind, here is all the latest Manchester United injury news and potential return dates...
Benjamin Sesko may not play again this season.
The striker has not played since the win over Liverpool on May 3, having been forced off after a collision with Ibrahima Konate sent him crashing into the advertising hoardings.
Speaking at the time, Michael Carrick confirmed that Sesko had aggravated a pre-existing issue during the incident.
Sesko subsequently missed the draw with Sunderland and the club’s final home game of the season, against Nottingham Forest, and is yet to return to training.
Speaking last week, Carrick said of Sesko: “Ben’s still not 100 per cent with the problem he has.”
The striker was in attendance at Old Trafford on Sunday, taking his place in the directors’ box, but his involvement in the final game of the season on Sunday, at Brighton, is in significant doubt.
Sesko will have the summer off after Slovenia failed to qualify for the World Cup, so will be able to focus on his rehabilitation ahead of the new season.
Matthijs de Ligt’s season has definitely ended after last week undergoing surgery on a back issue.
The defender has been sidelined since November with the problem and, six month on, the decision was made that a “corrective procedure” was needed to to fix the problem.
De Ligt is expected to be sidelined for pre-season and then return “in the early stages” of next season, which could be August or September, or later.
The defender said: “Since November I have done everything, pushing myself in every session and exploring every option, to get back to doing what I love, playing football.
“I am grateful to everyone who has supported me throughout a difficult period in my career. I remain as determined as ever to represent Manchester United and play in front of our incredible supporters as soon as possible.”







































