the Chelsea News
·23 Mei 2026
“The new appointment is” – Reece James shares honest opinion on new Chelsea boss Xabi Alonso

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsthe Chelsea News
·23 Mei 2026

Reece James has said everyone is excited about working under Xabi Alonso as he hailed the new Chelsea boss as an “amazing” manager.
DOWNLOAD THE OFFICIAL CHELSEA NEWS APP FOR ALL THE LATEST UPDATES – STRAIGHT TO YOUR PHONE! ON THE APP STORE
Chelsea confirmed the appointment of Alonso last weekend, and the 44-year-old has signed a four year contract at Stamford Bridge.
The appointment of Alonso is seen as a real coup for Chelsea, and he’s also been handed the title of manager, which signifies he will have greater control compared to Enzo Maresca.
Alonso was Chelsea’s preferred target, with Andoni Iraola second choice, and the players are believed to be excited to work under him.
Trevoh Chalobah has already spoken of his excitement, and as well as having an outstanding playing career, Alonso has had great success at Bayer Leverkusen, and will instantly command the respect of the dressing room.
Alonso has said he can’t wait to get started at Chelsea, and club captain James has hailed the former Real Madrid boss as an “amazing manager.”
“The new appointment is an amazing, amazing manager,” he told Sky Sports News.
“He was a world-class player and won many titles, and we’re excited to have him. I think it helps a lot, because he’s been in the player’s shoes, the highest level as well, and he knows what it takes to win.
“Everyone’s excited.”
If you enjoy Chelsea News coverage and want to see more of it, add us as a preferred source on Google to make us a favourite and see more of our content.
It’s been reported Fernandez could play his final game for Chelsea against Sunderland on Sunday afternoon at the Stadium of Light.
More Stories / Latest News
It’s believed both Real Madrid and Manchester City have shown interest in the midfielder, who’s been unable to agree an improved deal with Chelsea so far despite talks.
A final decision is likely to be taken by Alonso, who reportedly only wants players who are fully committed to be part of the squad.
Check out the latest edition of Simon Phillips’ SPTC podcast here:







































