Football League World
·19 August 2026
Concerning Sheffield United transfer update emerges amid points deduction threat

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsFootball League World
·19 August 2026

Sheffield United are facing the threat of a points deduction, and it is having an impact on their transfer plans
Sheffield United’s transfer plans have taken a hit amid concerns that the club could receive a 12 point deduction penalty this season.
According to The Star, two potential targets have raised the issue of a looming penalty as part of talks regarding a move to Bramall Lane.
It has been a slow summer for the Blades so far, who have added Matt Doherty as a free agent following his exit from Wolves, as well as Romelle Donovan from Brentford on loan and Kalvin Phillips from Man City.
The Yorkshire outfit have been more focused on major player sales in what is their first summer without receiving parachute payments since their 2023 relegation from the Premier League.
Gustavo Hamer and Andre Brooks have both departed the club, signing for Coventry City and rivals Norwich City, respectively.

Action Images
It’s believed that two potential targets discussed the threat of a points deduction as the first topic of conversation following concerns the club could be penalised.
Former owner Prince Abdullah is currently in a dispute with the current Sheffield United bosses, COH Sports, who completed their takeover of the Championship side in December 2024.
The Yorkshire outfit’s owners are expected in the High Court on Wednesday for the first hearing relating to the winding-up petition that they were served earlier this summer.
If a winding-up order follows, then Sheffield United will be at risk of going into administration, which will lead to an automatic 12 point deduction, as per the EFL’s rules.
It’s alleged by Prince Abdullah that he is still owed £35 million as part of the takeover agreement, and it remains to be seen whether a resolution can be found that avoids any punishment for the club.
And this debacle behind the scenes could now prevent Sheffield United from being able to complete further signings before the market closes in less than two weeks.
Sheffield United fans are frustrated at the lack of transparency from the current owners, and they have urged the group to either pay the money or sell the club.
COH Sports have been told they must take accountability if the Blades end up facing the consequences of the owners’ actions.
Some supporters have questioned why players would want to join this team even if Sheffield United avoid a points deduction due to how messy things have been behind the scenes.
And players have been told that it would not be a smart move to sign for the Championship side the way things are going.
Sheffield United are back in action this weekend on 22 August when they face Swansea City in a 3pm kick-off.

Action Images
It should come as no surprise to Sheffield United that players are now wary about joining them, as a 12 point deduction penalty would be a disaster.
It would all but end any hope they had of competing for promotion to the Premier League this season, and could even put them at risk of relegation to League One.
With just under two weeks remaining in the transfer window, this is horrible timing, and could lead to no new fresh faces coming in before the market closes.
COH Sports have to resolve this issue as quickly as possible, as the longer it drags on the more damage it will do to their reputation within the game.
Live







































