Central do Timão
·20 August 2026
Corinthians launch anti-racism campaign after Hugo Souza incidents

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsCentral do Timão
·20 August 2026

Late this Thursday afternoon (20), Corinthians posted an anti-racism campaign on its social media just hours before the clash against Rosario Central, scheduled to kick off at 9:30 p.m. (Brasília time) at Neo Química Arena, in the second leg of the 2026 Conmebol Libertadores round of 16.
In the post, Corinthians urges fans to report discriminatory acts and stresses that there is no room for this kind of prejudice in sports. The initiative comes exactly one week after the incidents involving goalkeeper Hugo Souza, who was the target of racist insults from Rosario Central fans in the first leg of the knockout stage of the continental tournament.

Photo: Disclosure/Corinthians
“Football does not tolerate prejudice,” Corinthians highlighted on its communication channels. Click here to check it out. In an interview with ESPN Brasil right after the final whistle last Thursday (13), the Timão goalkeeper commented on and lamented the recurring racist acts in football, especially in stadiums in Argentina.
“Unfortunately, every time we come here it’s like this, the whole game, as if it were something normal, which it can’t be. The entire game they’re calling you monkey, mono, shitty Black man. This is something that happens frequently here. The only thing I can do is inform the referee, because unfortunately it’s something that happens often here. What you have to do is try to keep your head in the game and hope that one day this changes,” he said.
After signaling that he was being targeted by such attacks, Corinthians’ No. 1 informed referee Andrés Matonte, who activated Conmebol’s anti-racism protocol, stopping the match for just a few moments. Meanwhile, Di María asked Rosario Central fans to stop the abuse directed at the goalkeeper. Moments later, the stadium announcer also warned those in attendance.
Corinthians released a statement minutes after the end of the match calling for action from the tournament organizer, Conmebol, and said it would take the appropriate measures. Nearly 24 hours later, the Argentine club issued a statement and disputed Timão’s version, claiming that the goalkeeper used the situation to his own advantage to stop the match at a moment when the opponent was applying heavy pressure.
This season, it is worth remembering, the Corinthians goalkeeper was the victim of the same insults in the quarterfinals of the Campeonato Paulista. On that occasion, at Canindé Stadium, some Portuguesa fans, after Timão advanced on penalties, shouted similar abuse at the Corinthians goalkeeper.
The teams meet again tonight in search of a place in the quarterfinals. If there is another draw, the decision will go to a penalty shootout. If Corinthians advances, it will face Argentina’s Estudiantes in the quarterfinals. So far, Timão has earned R$ 16.9 million in prize money in the tournament and could receive another 1.7 million dollars (R$ 9 million) if it reaches the next stage.
It hasn’t happened in a long time
The Alvinegro is seeking its second title in the tournament after its historic and unbeaten triumph in 2012. Since then, the club’s best campaign from Parque São Jorge in the international competition came in 2022, when it was eliminated by Flamengo in the quarterfinals.
In 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2018, it was knocked out in the round of 16. In 2020 and 2025, it was eliminated in the preliminary stage. On the continental stage, Corinthians’ last title came in mid-2013. That year, Timão beat São Paulo 4-1 on aggregate in the Recopa Sudamericana final.
This article was translated into English by Artificial Intelligence. You can read the original version in 🇧🇷 here.







































