Elkann: ‘Juventus in reconstruction phase’ after friendly cut short at 2-0 | OneFootball

Elkann: ‘Juventus in reconstruction phase’ after friendly cut short at 2-0 | OneFootball

In partnership with

Yahoo sports
Icon: Football Italia

Football Italia

·17 August 2026

Elkann: ‘Juventus in reconstruction phase’ after friendly cut short at 2-0

Article image:Elkann: ‘Juventus in reconstruction phase’ after friendly cut short at 2-0

Juventus patron John Elkann said they are ‘in a reconstruction phase, but also determined to get back to the top’ after the traditional pre-season friendly was cut short by a pitch invasion.

The final match of the summer is always at their stadium, with the senior squad taking on the Next Gen youth team that plays in Serie C.


OneFootball Videos


Article image:Elkann: ‘Juventus in reconstruction phase’ after friendly cut short at 2-0

TURIN, ITALY – MAY 17: Francisco Conceicao of Juventus FC during the Serie A match between Juventus FC and ACF Fiorentina at Allianz Stadium on May 17, 2026 in Turin, Italy. (Photo by Chris Ricco/Getty Images)

It also famously ends early with a peaceful pitch invasion, but they usually wait until the second half has at least kicked off.

This time, the fans were in a hurry, as they rushed the playing surface effectively during the half-time break, so it never resumed.

Juve seniors won 2-0 thanks to goals from Francisco Conceicao and Weston McKennie, who had started with Kenan Yildiz and Randal Kolo Muani upfront in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Elkann watched over Juventus test

Article image:Elkann: ‘Juventus in reconstruction phase’ after friendly cut short at 2-0

Official: Kenan Yildiz signs a new contract extension with Juventus until 2030 (also pictured: Marco Ottolini, Giorgio Chiellini, John Elkann, Damien Comolli and Francois Modesto). Picture via www.juventus.com

Heir to the Agnelli fortune Elkann spoke to Sky Sport Italia after the game had been abandoned.

“The rapport with Luciano Spalletti is strong and I couldn’t turn down the opportunity of sitting next to him on the bench to experience the match,” said the chief of their holding company Exor.

“I really enjoyed it, also as I could hear straight from the horse’s mouth what he was thinking during the game, not to mention the remarkable view from the touchline.”

Article image:Elkann: ‘Juventus in reconstruction phase’ after friendly cut short at 2-0

Jeff Ekhator and director Giovanni Carnevali (juventus.com)

Juventus have been making big changes this summer, including the arrival of new director of sport Giovanni Carnevali from Sassuolo.

“Giovanni is a great professional who knows Italian football very well. At this time, Juventus is trying to reinforce the side starting from Italy and respecting the identity of the club, which is to chase victory.”

The Old Lady missed out on Champions League qualification, so will only be participating in the Europa League this season.

“We must start winning again, because by winning we get more important results both in Italy and Europe,” continued Elkann.

“This year it will be crucial to keep going in every tournament, keeping in mind that football is made of eras, and we are in a reconstruction phase, but also aware that everyone at Juventus is determined to get back to the top.”

Juventus: Pinsoglio; Kalulu, Bremer, Kelly, Cambiaso; Locatelli, Douglas Luiz; Conceicao, McKennie, Yildiz; Kolo Muani

View publisher imprint