OffsAIde
·16 February 2026
Habib Beye uncertain as Benatia departs, Abardonado on standby while OM seek a coach

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsOffsAIde
·16 February 2026

OM’s search for a head coach has been thrown into doubt by Medhi Benatia’s resignation, leaving Habib Beye’s expected talks and candidacy in the balance before Friday’s trip to Brest.
According to L'Équipe, Beye had emerged as the leading option to succeed Roberto De Zerbi, meeting Benatia in Paris on Thursday with a follow-up set for Monday, plans now disrupted.
Both sides are awaiting Tuesday afternoon’s LFP legal commission hearing on Beye’s dispute with Stade Rennais, a process that should let Rennes appoint his replacement, with Franck Haise strongly tipped, and allow Beye to pursue a new project.
While Beye’s closeness to Benatia helped open discussions, president Pablo Longoria is overseeing matters. He has worked with Beye’s agency, Classico, since before Benatia arrived in November 2023, and shares the same lawyer as the agency.
Should Beye’s move stall or collapse, the presidency will weigh other proposals after receiving several applications. An internal route remains possible, with Pancho Abardonado available to extend his caretaker spell after stepping in for two matches in September 2023, against Ajax in the Europa League and Paris in Ligue 1.
After the 2-2 draw with Strasbourg, Abardonado said he would not abandon the group and that his staff are ready to handle the week and Brest. He said he could not look beyond that, adding the focus had been Strasbourg and that decisions lie with Pablo and Medhi. The leadership picture remains unsettled.
Source: L'Équipe









































