The Independent
·19 August 2026
Transfer news LIVE: Man Utd close in on Baleba deal, Arsenal face Alvarez blow, Liverpool move on from Mbaye

In partnership with
Yahoo sportsThe Independent
·19 August 2026

Manchester United are closing in on a move for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba with the clubs negotiating over a deal. They are set to reject an audacious approach from Galatasaray for their captain Bruno Fernandes. The Turkish club are determined to sign a star this summer and are lining up a comprehensive financial package that would have doubled the 31-year-old midfielder’s salary, but United’s stance is that Fernandes is not for sale.
Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has confirmed that he will bench star striker and Arsenal target Julian Alvarez for their LaLiga opener on Wednesday as he remains locked in a transfer dispute over his future. Alvarez is pushing to join Barcelona this summer and reports in Spain seem to confirm that would be his likely destination despite interest from Premier League champions Arsenal. However, Atletico CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin saying the club would not even accept €200m for the former Manchester City forward.
Manchester City face a price hike if they are to sign Enzo Fernandez from Chelsea. City are still interested in signing Fernandez despite missing Chelsea’s Friday deadline for offers, but now face paying much more than the £120m the Blues were demanding last week. City, meanwhile, are to sign 18-year-old midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi for £85m after selling Ballon d’Or winner Rodri to Barcelona in a deal worth up to £65m.
Liverpool had reportedly agreed terms with Paris Saint-Germain forward Ibrahim Mbaye but new rumours say they are moving away from the 18-year-old though their interest in teammate Bradely Barcola remains. Both Mbaye, 18, and France international Barcola were left out of PSG’s squad for the French Super Cup on Sunday. The European champions were set to demand £145m for Barcola, who is also wanted by Arsenal, but Liverpool are prepared to play the long-game as they bid to negotiate a price.
Manchester United have made enquiries over Edmond Tapsoba about a possible move before the end of the transfer window.
That is according to The Standard who quote Fussball Daten.
Tottenham and Newcastle are also said to be interested in the Bayer Leverkusen defender.
A price of €50m (£43m) has been touted for the 27-year-old.
Mike Jones19 August 2026 10:10
David Ornstein of The Athletic says that Manchester United are closing in on a move for Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba.
The current offer is for £60m plus £5m in add ons for the 22-year-old but that is below Brighton’s valuation of the player.
Talks are ongoing over an agreement between the clubs.
Baleba has long been on United’s radar and his transfer would bring more midfield reinforcements to the club ahead of the new season.
(Getty)
Mike Jones19 August 2026 10:05
Ollie Watkins is being courted by Saudi Pro League side Al Hilal who have already submitted a bid for the forward which has been rejected.
Watkins is seen as a potential replacement for Karim Benzema for the Saudi club but they may have a difficult task in removing him for Villa.
Talks are ongoing between the two clubs but you would feel that Villa would only sanction a move for a high price.

(PA)
Mike Jones19 August 2026 09:50
Rodri’s departure to Barcelona also came with a message to the Manchester City fans.
“It’s not like I miss [City] because I don’t feel like I’m leaving. I think I’m just moving to another club, but my heart will always be linked to the city and to the club,” Rodri said.
“I always try to be involved in the games, try to come and watch them and keep in touch with my ex-teammates. But of course, physically you leave. Seven years is the right moment to say goodbye, to write a good story.
“I always say that the most important thing is to have the whole image, the whole movie, and say I’m proud of this. Both parts, club and player, we’re proud of this, and this was the reason for my decision.
“My heart will always be blue all my life. And they always have Rodri for anything they need.”

Rodri has left Manchester City for Barcelona (Nick Potts/PA) (PA Archive)
Yesterday it was confirmed that Manchester City had completed the sale of Rodri to Barcelona.
The deal was for £65.4m and ends a seven-year tenure with City in which Rodri won all the domestic titles as well as the Champions League and the individual honour of the 2024 Ballon d’Or.
City are now seeking to secure a replacement with Chelsea’s Enzo Fernandez and Lille’s Ayyoub Bouaddi on their list of targets.
Mike Jones19 August 2026 09:10
Arsenal also have their sights on Kenan Yildiz as a potential alternative to Julian Alvarez if the former Manchester City striker does move to Barcelona.
Yildiz would be a cheaper option but it remains to be seen if a deal can be done before Deadline Day.
(Getty)
Mike Jones19 August 2026 08:50
It seems more likely that Julian Alvarez will be leaving Atletico Madrid this summer with Barcelona and Arsenal the two most interested parties.
Atletico are reluctant to sell their striker with the CEO claiming that not even £200m would be enough to shake their resolve but reports in Spain suggest that Alvarez will be heading to the LaLiga champions.
That is a blow to Arsenal who had hoped to strengthen their squad with attacking talent before the end of the window.
It is also a change to Atletico’s stance of not selling to domestic rival.
(Getty)
Mike Jones19 August 2026 08:30
It was widely rumoured that Liverpool had agreed personal terms with PSG winger Ibrahim Mbaye ahead of a potential move to Anfield however The Standard now say that the Reds are unlikely to progress with a transfer for the 18-year-old despite exploratory talks.
The Athletic goes further and reveals that Liverpool and Mbaye had never agreed terms and that negotiations did not progress to a formal stage.
The Reds remain interested in PSG’s Bradley Barcola though are prepared to wait in order to reduce the current asking price of £145m.
Harry Kane is “relaxed” about his contract situation at Bayern Munich with both parties set to open discussions over the next couple of weeks.
Kane, 33, has entered the final 12 months of his deal at Bayern and the England captain expects talks to begin soon over extending.
“The talks will begin this week or next,” he said, according to Bild. “We will start the discussions, and as I've already said, we're relaxed.
“I think they're relaxed about the situation as well. Now is obviously the time to start talks, since we only have a year left. That's important.
“But both sides are relaxed, and I'm quite sure that talks will take place this week or next."

(PA)







































